May 1 – October 1, 2016: the Exploratory and Planning Task Force conducted its research, consulted with faculty, and submitted a report and a set of recommendations about the establishment of a “School” of language, literary and cultural studies at Michigan State University.
The Exploratory and Planning Task Force was charged to:
- Investigate the opportunities and challenges associated with establishing a School of Language Studies at Michigan State University;
- Explore models at peer universities to identify best practices and determine how MSU could distinguish its approach and structure from others in order to position itself as an international leader in language studies;
- Submit a plan to establish an Action Committee structured to address relevant issues identified during the exploration and planning phases. The Action Committee should include relevant stakeholders and opportunities for open discussion among the faculty as it develops a proposal for a School of Language Studies that would undergo university review in AY2017-18 and be put in place to begin operation in 2018.
Task Force Members
The eight-member Task Force will include two co-chairs, one from each department and two members who served in leadership roles in the departments during the 2015-16 academic year appointed by Dean Christopher P. Long. The members include:
- SUSAN GASS (CO-CHAIR), University Distinguished Professor, LGSAAL/TESOL and SLS
- ROCÍO QUISPE-AGNOLI (CO-CHAIR), Professor of Hispanic Studies, RCS
- SONJA FRITZSCHE (LEADERSHIP ROLE), Professor of German and Chair, LGSAAL
- ANNE VIOLIN-WIGENT (LEADERSHIP ROLE), Associate Professor of French, 2015-2016 Associate Chair, RCS
- SAFOI BABANA-HAMPTON (DEPARTMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE REP.), Associate Professor of French, RCS
- MIGUEL CABAÑAS (DEPARTMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE REP.), Associate Professor of Latin American and Chicano/Latino Studies, RCS
- JASON MERRILL (DEPARTMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE REP.), Professor of Russian, LGSAAL
- ALAN MUNN (DEPARTMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE REP.), Associate Professor of Linguistics, LGSAAL
- AMY KLAPKO (ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT), Fiscal Officer, CAL**
**For more information please contact AMY KLAPKO at (517) 884-6767 or email@example.com.
FACULTY INPUT (August-September 2016)
TASK FORCE REPORT (October 2016)
Dean’s charge: We have established an Exploratory and Planning Task Force to investigate and begin planning for the creation of what might be called a “School of Language, Literary, and Cultural Studies” (“School” henceforth). This “School” will include the programs currently housed in two separate departments, the Department of Romance and Classical Studies (RCS) and the Department of Linguistics and Germanic, Slavic, Asian, and African Languages (L&L), as well as the Second Language Studies Program (SLS), and units like the Center for Language Teaching Advancement (CeLTA).
ACTION COMMITTEE CHARGE (November 2016)
The Action Committee is charged to investigate and recommend an administrative structure for the School that will distinguish MSU from its peers, facilitate strategic collaborations, and establish by-laws based on best practices in order to create a culture of inclusive excellence in the School.The Task Force report includes an important list of issues the Action Committee should consider including the structure of the school, platforms of collaboration, School leadership, advising, governance, RPT questions, and facilities.
Read the complete charge to the Action Committee here: Dean Long’s Action Committee Charge